Private Medical Insurance (PMI) is a health insurance policy that will pay your medical bills if you decide to be treated privately. It’s designed to cover new, acute, short-term health conditions and injuries. PMI cover can help provide peace of mind at a stressful time, removing unnecessary worry and leaving you to focus on your recovery.
According to data released by the House of Commons in February 2020, waiting lists for treatments in NHS hospitals had risen to record levels. At this time, the average NHS wait for elective treatment was typically around 18 weeks. Since this data was published, the waiting time continues to increase due to the coronavirus pandemic, making PMI a very attractive benefit to have.
As well as being able to take advantage of private treatment and consultations, policyholders also benefit from cover for therapies, private rooms, home nursing and parent accommodation when staying with a child covered under the policy – to highlight just a few.
PMI also allows you access to cancer care and treatments which may not be available on the NHS due to tight budget constrictions.
Personalise your policy
1. Choose to include full outpatient cover or, if you’d prefer, have a limit in place to keep the costs down.
2. Decide which hospitals you’d like to be treated in from Aviva’s comprehensive hospital list. This comprises over 800 facilities nationwide, including those based in central London.
3. Add key additional benefits such as mental health cover and therapies, as well as dental and optical cover.
4. Choose your own policy excess, payable once per policy year, ranging from £0-£1000. As you’d expect, the higher your excess is, the lower your premium will be.
5. We offer flexible underwriting for new joiners, and transfer of cover from another insurer (subject to meeting the necessary requirements).
Exclusive AF Group discount
If you’re part of a group policy that’s looking to transfer into the scheme from another insurer, we guarantee to beat your current renewal price by up to 10% (provided you meet the necessary requirements).
The AF Healthcare scheme through Aviva Healthcare also enjoys preferential rates, which members outside of the scheme do not have access to.
AF Group is an appointed representative of Alan Boswell Insurance Brokers Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.