Whilst some farms may strive to irrigate at night to benefit from cheaper electricity rates and reduce water loss through evaporation, other producers have no choice but to irrigate during daytime hours too.
We have used actual consumption data from an irrigation site in Norfolk to illustrate the potential payback of using solar PV generation. This site’s consumption data shows that the bulk of the pumping at this site happens during solar generation hours.
- day rate electricity price – 15.5p per unit (kWh)
- night rate electricity price – 10.5p per unit (kWh)
- agreed PPA export rate of 5.5p per kWh
- energy price inflation rate of 4.2%, (figure taken from the DBEIS and is based upon the average non domestic electricity price rises)
- PV array generates 65% of the daytime consumption of the site.